Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Do you have any old bananas getting brown laying around? This is the perfect recipe for them.
My kids love the added chocolate chips, which makes this yummy bread into a real treat, even great for dessert!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (about 3 medium ones)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 325ºF. Using shortening or soft butter, grease a 9 x 5-inch bread pan with a piece of bunched-up waxed paper.
- Put a little flour in the pan, then tilt and tap the pan to coat the sides with flour. Tap out the excess.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl and then set it aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter in a separate bowl. Gradually beat in the sugar. One at a time, have your child crack each egg into a small bowl and beat it into the creamed mixture. Blend in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, stir together the banana and yogurt until well mixed.
- Blend the dry mixture and the banana mixture into the creamed mixture in thirds, alternating dry and wet to help prevent the dry ingredients from clumping. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- With a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the bread on the center oven rack for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool thoroughly before slicing. Makes 10 to 12 slices.