Maple French Toast
In trying to be frugal, our family likes to use up whatever food we can. One way we do that is with stale bread. After the bread has gone a bit stale, we love to make this yummy Maple French Toast with it.
If you don’t have maple sugar, I would suggest using real maple syrup, it works great, too!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. butter or oil
- 8 slices dense bread
- 1/4 cup grated maple sugar candy
- Mix the eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Heat the butter or oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Soak the slices of bread in the egg mixture, turning once. They should be saturated but not falling apart.
- Brown the bread in the skillet, turning once, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Then sprinkle grated maple sugar candy on the top and turn. Cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the other side with maple sugar and turn once more. Now both sides of the toast should have a crisp, sugary coating.
- Add butter to the pan between each batch. Allow the toast to cool for a minute before serving. Serves 4.