Hey there, foodie friends! Today, I’m excited to share a recipe that holds a special place in my heart and kitchen – Mom’s Chiles Rellenos Casserole. If you’ve ever craved the flavors of traditional chiles rellenos but wished for a simpler way to enjoy them without all the fuss, you’re in for a treat! This casserole version combines all the cheesy, spicy goodness of the classic dish in an easy-to-make, family-friendly format. Get ready to dive into layers of flavor that will transport you to the heart of Mexico with every delicious bite!
Next, comes the filling – a harmonious blend of melted cheeses that creates a gooey, savory symphony. The magic happens when you layer these cheese-stuffed poblanos in a casserole dish, setting the stage for the star of the show – the egg batter. Whisk together eggs, flour, and baking powder to form a light and airy mixture that transforms the dish into a culinary masterpiece as it bakes to golden perfection.
The result? A Chiles Rellenos Casserole that boasts all the elements we love about the classic dish – the smokiness of roasted poblanos, the creaminess of melted cheese, and the satisfying fluffiness of the egg batter. This recipe is a culinary adventure that brings the essence of Mexican cuisine to your home kitchen with minimal effort. We love to eat it drizzled with either red or green enchilada sauce, in addition to the salsa.
This Chiles Rellenos Casserole is a celebration of flavor, simplicity, and the joy of bringing people together over a delicious meal. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or an amateur cook, this recipe invites you to savor the rich essence of chiles rellenos without the intricate steps. Share it with friends, delight your family, or treat yourself to a weeknight indulgence – the possibilities are endless. Enjoy the journey of creating and savoring this delightful Chiles Rellenos Casserole – your ticket to a world of taste without the stress. Happy cooking! 🌶️🧀Print
This delectable dish combines the rich flavors of roasted poblano peppers, gooey cheese, and a savory egg mixture, creating a delightful and easy-to-make casserole that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- Salsa (optional, for serving)
- Roast and Peel the Poblano Peppers:
- Preheat your broiler. Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil, turning occasionally, until the skin is charred and blistered.
- Transfer the roasted peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let them steam for about 15 minutes.
- Peel the skin off the peppers, remove the seeds, and cut them into wide strips.
- Prepare the Casserole Base:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs and then gradually add the flour mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Add the milk and sour cream to the egg mixture, whisking until well combined.
- Assemble the Casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread half of the poblano strips evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle half of the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses over the peppers.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the cheese and peppers.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining poblano strips, cheese, and egg mixture.
- Bake to Perfection:
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Garnish and Serve:
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top for a burst of freshness (optional).
- Serve slices of the Chiles Rellenos Casserole with your favorite salsa on the side.